Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Seems Things Like This ALWAYS Happen at Bedtime, Right?

Um, yeah, 2009 is definitely ending with a bang for Jackson.

Last night, he was monkeying around on the recliner and fell off. He sort of leaped and tried to jump onto the seat of the chair and land on his belly, I think. I'm not real sure as I was trying to attend to Luke at that moment and only saw Jackson out of the corner of my eye. He landed on the seat fine, but he immediately tried to scoot up or roll over or something and he slipped off instead. Landed right on his left shoulder with a thud. It was all kind of one motion. Of course he cried immediately and, as usual when he is hurt, he told me not to touch him, so I didn't and just kept attending to Luke. I figured he was fine, just shocked and embarassed and maybe a little hurt. I let him try to shake it off for a few minutes but he it wasn't working. He kept moaning and crying, so I really just figured he was over-tired. It was the end of the day, he hadn't napped, and he was ready for bed. So we took him upstairs, but he was still crying. I knew something was up when he still hadn't moved his arm, was refusing to move it, and screamed when I tried to take his shirt off to get the PJs on. Then I also saw that I thought was a bump when there wasn't an equal bump on the otherside. So we took off for the emergency room and 2.5 hours later we were back home, broken clavicle and all.

Jackson was great at the hospital, despite the fact that it was pretty busy. Is there EVER an ER that isn't busy? He let the nurses and doctors touch his shoulder much more than he would let me so I was beginning to think nothing was wrong. Plus the ER doctor said he didn't think it was broken after examining him. He just said that he did see a bit of a dip on the should and saw that Jackson was favoring one over the other. I knew he was wrong about the broken collar bone though. Just one of those "I know my kid and something ain't right" things. Plus, it would have been an Oscar-worthy acting job by Jackson for something not to be seriously wrong with his shoulder. Word to the wise, they don't do anything for a broken collar bone. They tell you to take some Ibuprofen and go home. Put your arm in a sling for a week. That's it. So, really, unless your bone is poking through your skin, you might as well just not bother with the emergency room.

He's being a good trooper. Sleeping last night was a bit difficult as he woke up once or twice crying. I guess he tried to roll over? He wants me to do everything for him, but I can't say that I blame him for wanting that! So, he'll be spending the rest of his Christmas break watching lots of movies, I think. Coloring too.

Jeez, I'll have to think of a few more things to do with him!

No comments: