Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Poster Boy for Pneumonia

At least that's what the pediatrician thinks. We'll know for sure tomorrow after the radiologist checks out the chest x-rays, but the pediatrician took a look at them and thinks that's the case. Jackson had stayed home from daycare on Monday becaues he was still getting over the weekend fever on Monday morning. But by Monday night, his temp was below 100 degrees, so he was "good to go" for daycare on Tuesday. Or, so I thought. Daycare called me at naptime today because he was breathing shallowly and, of course, still coughing quite a bit. So, off to the pediatrician's we went.

The visit to the doctor was interesting because this was the first time that he immediately got scared to be there upon seeing the doctor in the hallway. Until then, he was fine. Caught sight of the pediatrician, immediate panic and tears. One would think that fear might be a logical for an almost 2 year old, but at our pediatrician's office the doctor never does the stuff that would make one afraid of him. The shots are all given by the nurses. All the pediatrician does is look in his ears, listen to his lungs and heart, etc. The nurses do all the dirty work (although, I'm pretty sure that is true of all doctor's offices). The nurse that usually gives him the shots came to get us out of the waiting room and Jackson didn't react to her at all, but one look at the pediatrician and he knew something was up. And the rest of the visit was downhill from there.

He got two antibiotic shots - one in each leg, and he was NOT happy about it for quite some time. He was quite the drama queen about it - I think he gets that from his daddy. Two hours later he was coming up to me at home saying that his legs hurt and he wanted me to kiss them. Suck it up kid. I think you have more shots coming in about two weeks at your 2-year check-up (although, I'm not sure about that).

Anyway, I have a feeling there is gonna be lots of viewing and re-viewing of Finding Nemo over the next few days since this diagnosis means he can't go to daycare for the rest of the week. Seriously, one can only put up with Albert Brooks voice for so long. I'm staying home with him tomorrow and then Chris and I are going to switch off on the days-off thing so that neither one of us has to abandon our jobs completely. I'm thinking that Chris is gonna be directed to stop at the video store before he comes home from work tomorrow. Any suggestions? Jackson really liked watching the jalopy, old, scratched up videotape of Dumbo at my parents' house a few weeks ago, maybe the video store has a newer copy without all those wavy lines....

These two pictures are pretty representative of what Jackson has looked like for most of the day since about Sunday. In the first one, he is whining. In the second one, he just looks pitiful and drugged out. Is it wrong that I prefer the pitiful looking Jackson to the whining one? Trust me, the pitiful Jackson is MUCH easier to please.

1 comment:

Jason said...

All I have to say is STAY AWAY! We don't need what he has!

Outside of that, good luck, stay strong, and stay sane.